In accordance with the preventive measures taken by the Greek Government against the coronavirus spread, the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens is cancelling all scientific and cultural events in its premises from March 9th, 2020 and for four weeks. 

24/01/2020, 17:00 SYMPOSIUM

Protection of Cultural Heritage:

Legal Framework, Challenges and Current Developments


17:00 Registration

17:30 Greetings by:

Professor Meletios-Athanasios K. DIMOPOULOS, Rector of the National and Kapodistrian University of Athens

Dr Constantinos TSOUTSOPLIDES, Head of the European Parliament’s Office in Greece

Aikaterini TZITZIKOSTA, Head of the Hellenic National Commission for UNESCO

Dr Anastastia SAMARA-KRISPI, President of the Foundation for International Legal Studies of Professor Elias Krispis and Dr. Anastastia Samara-Krispi

17:45  Part A – Lectures by:

Dr Artemis PAPATHANASIOU, Senior Legal Advisor, Hellenic Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Return or restitution of cultural property to the countries of origin in the context of UNESCO and the United Nations

Nils DANKLEFSEN, Head of the Committee on Culture and Education, European Parliament on The legal protection of cultural heritage in the European Union and the role of the European Parliament

Dr Maria VLAZAKI- ANDREADAKI, former Secretary General of Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports on Greece’s actions concerning the protection of cultural heritage through the initiatives of the implementation forum of the 1970 UNESCO Convention

Antonis BREDIMAS, Professor Emeritus of Public International Law, Faculty of Law, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens on Bilateral interstate agreements for the control of importation and exports of cultural goods. The Greek case.

18:45  Coffee break

19:00 Part B

Panel discussion on “Return of cultural goods - practical experience and best practices”

Moderator: Vasilios LAMBRINOUDAKIS, Professor Emeritus of Archaeology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens

Members of the panel:

  • Vasiliki PAPAGEORGIOU, Head of the Directorate for Verification and Protection of Cultural Goods, Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports
  • Teti CHATZINIKOLAOU, Head of the Hellenic Department of the International Council of Museums
  • Roberto RICCARDI, Brigadier-General, Head of the Italian Criminal Investigation Service on Cultural Heritage

20:15 Reception

Free entrance

Simultaneous interpretation in English and Greek 

The Museum

The Athens University History Museum is housed in the building known as Kleanthis’ Residence or The Old University. The building dates before the 18th Century, establishing it as one of the very few surviving buildings from the pre-Otto period. It may be identified with a house depicted in a painting of Athens by J. Carrey, who visited the city in 1674 as Charles – Marie - François Olier, Marquis de Nointel’s painter.

The building was purchased in 1831 by Stamatios Kleanthis and Edward Schaubert who were the first to undertake the urban planning of the city of Athens.

From 1837 and for four years the building functioned as the first University of the Independent Greek State. 150 years later, in 1987, its current function was inaugurated.





Monday – Friday: 09.00 -16.00

Closed on Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, except the first Sunday of each month, when the Museum is open from 11.00 until 16.00 with free admission.


Adults: 2 euros

Children aged from 12 to 18 years old: 1 euro

Members of the University of Athens' academic community and students, unemployed citizens FREE


tel.: 210 3689500-510

fax: 210 3689501



For further information concerning the learning programs and guided tours please call: 210 3689502-6.